vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My 1999 1.8 liter Passat will idle but won't rev up more than

Customer Question

My 1999 1.8 liter Passat will idle but won't rev up more than 1300 rpms
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I put after market stereo in and since my battery keeps dying so I'm always jumping it , I replaced the Maf and two years ago I put a throttle body on it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes as its a 1999 with 185000 miles on it , it's not worth anything was going to gift it to my neice
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: New Maf , cleaned the throttle body
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Is the check engine light on in the dash wile idling? do you have a vag com scan tool? please let me know!! thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes check engine light is on and no I have no vag com, I took this vehicle to Firestone for diagnostic and they said the code was throttle body but they said they could not talk to computer to see if it was because it lost its memory or what
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
ok lets try this procedure ~!!! open the drivers door and keep open . disconnect the battery both cables (make sure the battery has a full charge) . with the battery disconnected turn the key on and then touch and hold both cables for 5 minutes . then with the ignition still on hook up the positive cable then the negative cable ( you will hear noises normal) then after the noises start the car and see if the throttle comes back above 1300 rpm . please let me knowthanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Starts right away and idles at850 but when I excellerate 1300 it wants to die take my foot of the gas pedal and it comes right back to idle, I can feather it through the rough spot and get it to rev high when I feather it past that, smells like its flooding lots of grey smoke
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You got any other suggestions? Pls help
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
VAG com scan tool is needed to try to adapt the throttle body to the ecm . and also if that does not work some readings will be needed from the scan tool to further in diagnosis!!