sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Volkswagen Jetta GL: . I have a 97 vw jetta that I recently

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 97 vw jetta that I recently replaced both wheel bearings in the front end. However I still have a whining rubbing grinding sound...please help!!? I am at a loss and don't want whatever it is to break!!
Category: VW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The noise may actually be coming from a rear wheel bearing or it's possible that it could be coming from the transmission. It isn't uncommon to mistake the source of a wheel bearing noise, it's more likely to be bearing noise than an issue in the trans.Is the noise best described as a growl that gets worse with higher speed?Does the noise change or come and go when turning?