Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

My son's jetta will stall suddenly . Starts right back up but

Customer Question

My son's jetta will stall suddenly . Starts right back up but will stall periodically. Mass air flow sensor was replaced already.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: Battery is new and does it on all roads
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's all the info I have. 2004 jetta
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, we'll my son is .
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaned MAFS and finally replaced it because of error code. Now it has the stalling problem.
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: I can't think of anything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The problem you are describing may be caused by sludge build up in the throttle body. I would start with having your son disconnect the negative battery cable and then take some carb cleaner and a soft cloth and give the throttle body a good cleaning. After doing so, reconnect the cable and start the engine and allow it to idle for 15 to 20 minutes and then recheck it and see if the stall clears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't really help since we had already addressed issue with Mas and throttle body. Car still stalling.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay then the next step would be to scan the computer system and see if there are any fault code setting, has that been done?