Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

Volkswagen Golf: 2003 VW Golf 2.0L automatic. Having issues

Customer Question

2003 VW Golf 2.0L automatic.
Having issues with shifting the car out of park. Already changed the brake switch under the dash. The car also has an emergency/parking brake light comes on when driving. The shifting issue is intermintent as well.......on a regular basis.
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating. .That is most likely the shift lock solenoid. Sometimes the little rod gets a little sticky on them, (making the problem intermittent) and may need to be cleaned off. Please see attached diagram..If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,