Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.

I went etest today and the shop failed me due to a communicatio

Customer Question

I went for my etest today and the shop failed me due to a communication error. I heard it could be the after market radio... i disconnected it and went to a second shop. Still failed. I have no dash lights on. I am at a loss
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: No code. It just says "overall Test Rest: Fail (No Communication"
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the VW Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have checked all the fuses, hooked it up to a handheld scanner, searched online and disconnected the aftermarket sterio. Still not reading
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: 2001 vw Jetta tdi 5 sp
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please issue a refund
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The problem you are describing with the lack of scan tool communication can be caused by any of the following,Control ModuleDefective Controller — On the K data line.Shorted K Data Line Wiring — To power.Radio — Improperly installed aftermarket radio.Defective RadioGrounded Wiring In order to determine what is failing you are going to need to do some testing, I have enclosed the test steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.