Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

I have a 2004 Passat 4 cyl turbo that is misfireing on all

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Passat 4 cyl turbo that is misfireing on all cylinders at idle but smooth just off idle and on up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: codes come up as misfire on all cylinders. runs very well in driving mode and rpm but at idle runs a bit rough. turbo just changed but problem started 100 miles afterward
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked for vac leaks checked plugs for gap and heat range and that is all
JA: Sometimes checking spark plugs can be a challenge -- more than a few things to consider. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.The problem might be that you PCV valve is blocked and or the pipes are hard and brittle causing leaks. The PCV valve is inside the tappet cover. You can clean it but at times one do need to replace the tappet cover with a new one. There might be vacuum leaks causing this as well so make very sure that there are no vacuum leaks. But I have seen that the PCV is the no1 cause for this problem.If after you have done the PCV valve and there are some accelerating problems you might have to do a re-adaptation of the accelerator to cure it.This should answer your question should you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Waiting for the part from dealer. Will let you know what happens. Thanks
Expert:  Martin replied 7 months ago.
Hi,This should rectify the problem.Greetings,Martin.