Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

My parking brake will not disengage. Cannot move car. JA:

Customer Question

my parking brake will not disengage. Cannot move car.
JA: When it comes to solving emergency brake issues, getting the right information makes all the difference. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The parking brake will not disengage at all. I tried with car on, car off. 2010 VW Tiguan
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: car on, car off, key in ignition, seatbeat on seatbelt off, pressing brake pedal, pulling lever to release parking brake
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** you for using the site, I will be happy to assist you today..Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating. .Sometimes if you disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes, it may reset so the vehicle can be driven. There has been a factory service bulletin, (not a recall) for that type of concern. It involves a software update and has to be done by a dealer, I hate to have to say. . Here is a link to what it states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page..https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n1mzfp9eoda2h4/PARK%20BRAKE.pdf?dl=0.Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** . Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What concerns should I have disconnecting battery? If I disconnect it let it sit and reconnect will there be issues? I know
Clock Radio etc will red robe reset but will any thing else be effected?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Typo sorry. Will need to be reset
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.
Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups, but yes there is a procedure for that..Let me post the link for that as well, thanks.https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjcqyhnghhupt60/Battery.pdf?dl=0
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.
If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the bulletin instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.
Did you get that?