rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My sun roof wont close.. It closes almost all the way and then

Customer Question

My sun roof wont close.. It closes almost all the way and then bounces back ...
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a VW passat... I am unable to close my sunroof.. When I try to close it, it closes till about 3 inches gap...and then automatically goes back wide open..
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.. If I can
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just tried to operate the open/close switch... hoping (foolishly on my part!) that the problem would go away..
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: It is a 2009 model
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.It may be hard to see, but it appears that something is wedged in the rail causing this to happen. If the rail is clear, then the rail is bent.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I will check again.. But I did not notice anything that would appear like an obstruction.. If the rail is bent, how can it be fixed..
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.
It would have to be replaced, you would never be able to get it back to it's original position.Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, I am currently not near my car... Is there a number where I can call you.. in case the link is lost..
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.
Not unless you request a phone call service from JA for an additional cost. Just keep this link.Thanks again, Ron