vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

The air conditioning unit blows hot air. We had refrigerant

Customer Question

The air conditioning unit blows hot air. We had refrigerant w/leak stop and dye placed in it and that didn't work. I was told by the VW service dept. that I needed a sensor and it would cost $1800.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The VW Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: The mechanic. I couldn't fix my way out of a wet paper bag with both ends open.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: Nothing else.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** a little difficult to answer since I am not sure what the question is. I don't see the year and model of your VW but $1800 sounds like a lot for any sensor. Maybe if it needs a compressor and related parts. Did the same mechanic do the recharge with dye and stop leak? I don't like using stop leak in AC systems since it can clog up some components in the system that need to stay clear. I think my advice is find another mechanic and have them check it out. Something is missing from their explaination. I don't know if this helps but I am here to help.Let me know what questions or concerns you have and I will do my best to give you the information you are after.Thank you.