vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Jetta: I have a 03 Jetta and I won't shift past

Customer Question

I have a 03 Jetta and I won't shift past a ceartin gear
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. Is the check engine light on ?if you really pay attention to the gear indicator of the dashboard is all gears blacked out ? please let me know
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No sir they are all not blacked out, and it's an automatic trans. And yes the check engine light is on.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
Was a scan test performed? what codes are stored ? thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No sir their hasn't been a scan test performed...
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
being that the check engine light is on and you have an electronic controlled transmission i would advise a scan test to narrow down the issue you have. you can have a speed sensor issue to internal shift valve issue. to many variables at this time . Advise the scan and then post the fault codes .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The guy I got it from said it needs some type of sensor for the transmission, and ok I will have the test done and send you the codes...
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
that would be great!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Didn't mean to wast your time sir I've been busy working, but here's the error codes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
P03101
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
P0864
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
ok one code is a communication fault . the other one is it p3101 ? i do need a vin # ***** thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3vwrk69m23m053954
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
plesase chec fuse 31 and fuse 15 make sure that they are good and you have 12 volts at the fuse with the key on with a volt meter please thanks