Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

Want to adjust headlight on a 2002 vw passat JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

want to adjust headlight on a 2002 vw passat
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: headlights are angled too low at night obviosly
JA: Working headlights are essential for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Id like too
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: I have a small water leak on the floor behind drivers seat on right side of car , the drivers floor under his/her feet is dry , only wet behind drivers seat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Helloif you want to adjust the headlamp aim then there's a couple of screws to adjust - 1 for horizontal and the other for the vertical this image shows the adjustment points and you'll need a 1/4" drive socket set to adjust now regarding the water leak then check if the car has AC then this could be the AC drain pipe thats come adrift or is clogged under the car and backing up the system. To get to the pipe you access it from under the car Also worth checking that the door seals don't have any rips or tears and that they're touching all round the door - best way to confirm this is to rub some vaseline into the seal and close the door then when you re-open it check that the grease line is all the way round and check where theres any gaps - as this indicates the seal isn't touching also check that the sunroof drains are free and clear and these should vent out under the car and can become silted up and rust though due to the trapped water - If you look in the corners of the sunroof well in the roof you should spot a small hole / channel which is the entrance to the drain and I'd also remove the pollen filter and check inside its chamber for any signs of water as these should have a drain for water to escape and they can clog up