John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience

When I start my 2002 beetle it makes a screeching noise. What

Customer Question

When I start my 2002 beetle it makes a screeching noise. What could be causing that?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When I start my 2002 beetle it makes a screeching noise. What could be causing that?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I actually just purchased from a dealership and I'm still under the 30 day warranty so if there's an issue I want to make sure they'll be able to fix it
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: Yes the breaks squeak when I come to a stop
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** like this are from the serpentine belt on the front of the engine. If the belt is a little loose for any reason (cracked belt or worn tensioner) it will squeal. Also, if there is a leak in the area of the belt this could cause the squeak. Another thing that I have seen make noise on start up is the starter motor for the engine itself. They can hang up and not release fully causing the noise.As far as the brakes, this could just be from wear on the brake rotors or the brake pads themselves could be low. In anycase I would take this back to the dealer and have these items addressed under the 30 day warranty you mentioned.Please let me know if I can be of further help with this.John