peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I just bought a 2003

Customer Question

I just bought a 2003 VW Jetta TDI knowing that the OBD-II port returned an error when attempted to be read. The CEL is on, but the car runs fine has no major problems. It has the original radio in it and I checked the fuse in the back of the radio too. I have tested all K-line, positive, and negative pins of the OBD port and according to the research I have done, Everything seems normal but it always produces an error. FYI, I have two other 2001 Jettas that I can read just fine with the generic code reader. Additionally, I have tried to remove the airbag plug, the ABS plug, and the radio plug to see if one of these modules could be preventing communication to no avail. The previous owner said that he had an alternator go out and do some strange things when it happened. He does not know if that caused this problem, but he could never read the codes after that. Please help me to know what to look into next. Thanks
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just bought a 2003 VW Jetta TDI knowing that the OBD-II port returned an error when attempted to be read. The CEL is on, but the car runs fine has no major problems. It has the original radio in it and I checked the fuse in the back of the radio too. I have tested all K-line, positive, and negative pins of the OBD port and according to the research I have done, Everything seems normal but it always produces an error. FYI, I have two other 2001 Jettas that I can read just fine with the generic code reader. Additionally, I have tried to remove the airbag plug, the ABS plug, and the radio plug to see if one of these modules could be preventing communication to no avail. The previous owner said that he had an alternator go out and do some strange things when it happened. He does not know if that caused this problem, but he could never read the codes after that. Please help me to know what to look into next. Thanks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also have checked the pins on the OBD connector itself and there appears to be no problem. And, the pin 7 k-line reads about 9V, but when a 1k Ohm resistor is put between pins 4 and 7, it drops to about a half volt, which, according to my research is normal operation. Connecting or unconnecting any of the modules I have so far have not affected this reading.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I already figured out the problem. It was the cluster was preventing a connection. Testing with a different used cluster allowed connection. However, now I have to figure out how to either fix my current one or how to transfer the odometer reading as well as the immobilizer programming to a new (Used) cluster.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. You will have to check with a dealer to see if they have a facility they send their clusters into for reprogramming and repair here.IN most all cases though the cluster will need to be replaced and set up and programmed by a dealer in order to operate properly in the vehicle. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the response, but I have got a lot of help from VW forums and my main issue was the initial troubleshooting.
Your welcome.If you need anything else let me know. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
However, I didn't get my answers on JustAnswer so I don't feel I need to pay the $23 for the question, but I don't want to give you a bad review, what do I need to do? Thanks
I will send this to customer service for you. Thanks Pete