John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

Volkswagen Passat GLS: I have a 2001 vw passat. The air conditioner

Customer Question

I have a 2001 vw passat. The air conditioner will not work on the hottest day consistently. when it does work, it's works well and very cold. But some days, it like the condenser just refuses to work and it seems to be those days that are hot and less humid.
Category: VW
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** to me like the charge in the AC system is a little low. The best thing to do is have the system evacuated and recharged to the specified amount. Another thing you could try is going to the auto parts store and buying a can of R134a to chatge the system yourself with. They should have a kit that will have the hose and fitting you need to do it. The only real problem with this is the system works best with the correct charge and since you don't know how low it is then you don't really know how much to add. If you want to try it, I would suggest adding one half pound and trying it. Then add more if it still not where you want it. Another thing that can affect the AC performance is if the condenser is plugged up with dirt (typically from driving frequently on dirt roads or in windy areas where a lot of dust blows around). The condenser is the part just in front of the radiator in front of the car. There is not much space to get behind the condensor to blow it out but if you take it to a shop and have them check the AC then aske them to do this also. If you try to blow it out from the front you will just push the dust/dirt in farther. Let me know if this helps or if I can help in any other way.