Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw/ audi specialist
84635724

I bought a used 2011 with only one key. Purchased a genuine

Customer Question

I bought a used 2011 with only one key. Purchased a genuine VW duplicate for my car via my local vw dealership. Looks like I should be able to program myself, but doesn't work when I try. Already paid $150 for the key. Don't feel iike paying another $60. Help!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. no reason to think otherwise based on the research i've done.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Put key to programmed in the ignition, turned on. did not start engine. Use "trainer" key to manually lock the drivers door. Hit unlock twice as suggested, with a few seconds in between. Didn't work.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: Repeated twice.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
hi im kevin what model of car do you have and is it a blade type key ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2011 VW sportwagen. switchblade style fob
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you there??
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
fortunately these can only be programmed to start the car using manufacturer pass through equipment no other way .you can programme to unlock car but not to start
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
*unfortunately*
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
VW website says what I did should work since I'm using an authentic key made specifically for this car. What is manufacturer pass through?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
manufacturers pass through is a diagnostic machine that goes online and gains key authorisation to allow the key to be programmed to car .This machine connects online to server in Germany .anybody coding new keys uses this method its the only way to Code vw keys
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
please remember to rate my service and let me know if I can assist in any other way
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Please rate my service if no further assistance is required