vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Need to replace the combo rubber stop/inside grip on my

Customer Question

Hi Need to replace the combo rubber stop/inside grip on my 2002 Eurovan sliding door. I have panel removal tools. Any tricks, potential hang-ups?Thanks, ***** *****
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: There's this single hunk of black rubber (expensive) that stops the sliding door from hitting the back post and also serves as a passenger handle to release the door. My VW dealer wants $300 to do the job. My new part cost $70.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yup
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've stared at it. Hoping to find a video online but all I could find was diagrams of sliding door components. The rubber stop has a single bolt hole so I figure the genius part of the operation is getting the panel off and on without wrecking it - so I need some advise before I start pulling it off.
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: No, except it's getting warm in Tucson and I'm gonna sweat working on it in my carport.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. i do need some more info. I do need the vin # ***** the vehicle can you supply the pic of the part and the location of it so i can refer to the factory manual to assist!!thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sent your pictures today in a reply to the justanswer email - so they can forward to you. All I really want to know is:
Is there any trick or possible problem area in R&R the panel? Maybe this is an auto trimmer question not a mechanical one.
Good luck. Mike the Home Mechanic
i did not received any email yet ! i want to help but without the vin and pics of what you are trying to do .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
VIN: WV2MB47051H125458 as previously sent.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 months ago.
here is a pic of the sliding dooe what area are you dealing with. i did not get any email !!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Let's stop this. I can take the car to an upholstery shop and they'll do the job for me. No hard feelings - we're not a match.
hey i waited for the email but nothing came back!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can't help that you're not getting my emails. Couldn't send pictures via these comment boxes so I sent them in reply to the Just Ask emails - they don't forward them, do they? I sent you the VIN twice in this box. Let's call it a day. No hard feelings, Mike the Auto-Erotic Mechanic
got it!!