vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

I have a 2003 VW Passat V6 2.8 GL and had the heater core replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2003 VW Passat V6 2.8 GL and had the heater core replaced a few months ago.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: After the heater core was replaced in the passat (GL V6 2.8) when I used the climate control (air conditioning or heating) it drips water from underneath the dash into the front passenger side floor (left hand side as the car is right hand drive in Australia). If the climate control is not on, no dripping. Have had the vents cleaned also to eliminate potential issues. Note it seems to be dripping water only, not coolant and it leaks a lot (constant drip). The mechanic who installed the core heater is in denial. What could it be, assuming the heater core work was done poorly.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The VW Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. More likely to go to another mechanic. However, I need to confirm the options of what it could be and discuss with them.
JA: OK! The VW Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: Can you be more specific please? Any advice on the options regarding the nature of the leak - eg is it attributed to much condensation being created when the climate control system is on? If the heater core was installed wrong, would this lead to leaking of water.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 months ago.
Ok since you are leaking water only more then likely the ac drain part of the dash bottom portion is not in the correct position on the firewall drain because the drain has to be in the middle inside of the grommet where it drains in the outside of the vehicle not in the inside of the vehicle . You will need to have them check this they will need to move the carpet back and check to make sure the drain tube is correctly fitted . I hope this helps.Please dont forget to provide positive feedback for the help provided we as experts rely on this feedback/rating thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. If this was the reason, how easy/difficult to fix?
Is there any other possibility of why the water is leaking. Not sure if worth mentioning but when the air conditioning is on, the water is very cold.
Yes that is your issue its not too hard just pull back the carpet and remove the grommet from the firewall and try to move it in place hopefully they won't need to loosen up the heater box again . I hope this helpsPlease dont forget to provide rating/feedback thank you
Have the this helped you ???
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
NO problem please dont forget the feedback/rating we rely on this thank you