vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

Volkswagen Passat: I have a 2004 VW Passat 1.8t and it had

Customer Question

I have a 2004 VW Passat 1.8t and it had been reading low oil pressure on and off. The mechanic said that it had been spilling oil and said the oil bulb needed to be replaced. I picked it up and it was working fine and all of a sudden it the low oil pressure started beeping again. What could it be?
Category: VW
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 months ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.The first thing you need to check is the oil level , make sure is at the full level.If it is spilling or leaking oil ,it is possible that the oil pressure drops but only when you are just about running out of oil in the oil pan.Replacing the oil bulb sounds like an excuse for something he is hiding from you. Other possibility is a bad oil switch or the wire is loose and touching the ground.In the worse case you have a mechanical problem ,worn out bearing or a clogged oil pump pick up screen in the oil pan.In the last case you should get a tapping sound from your engine when the pressure drops and starts beeping. Good luck.Let me know.Thank you very much.