Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I received an fault code 17748 Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)

Customer Question

i received an fault code 17748 Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28) P1340-001 - Incor. Correlation.
JA: So sorry, but I missed that. One more time?
Customer: i received an fault code 17748 Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28) P1340-001 - Incor. Correlation.
JA: I think I may have missed something. Could you explain?
Customer: my car is sputtering
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: is this a real person?
JA: I'm the VW Mechanic's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: how does this work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i replaced the camshaft position sensor
JA: Anything else I can tell the VW Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang , Master VW tech here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. I do need some more information!!i do need your vin # ***** get the correct factory information.any service work performed recently?any accidents to the vehicle?thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
WYGZC67L24D001405
No recent work, I replaced the camshaft position sensors, but it's still misfiring on idle and the error code returns after reseting it.
No accidents.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
that vin # ***** ***** . is this a 2004 touareg with a 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Vr6
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry Vin starts with WV not WY
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
ok how many miles on the vehicle ? how long did you own the vehicle? at what interval did you change the oil?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
160k miles owned it for 12 years, changed oil every 10k with synthetic oil. Does all that really matter?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
it is recommended every 5k miles for oil changes per the factory . what has mostly happpened is the variable timing solenoids has debris from a screen that is part of the timing case has broken off and causing your timing issue . it cannot adjust so then the timing off is at the cams. it is an expensive repair . the timing case assy and the gears of the camshft needs to be replaced. the timing is oil pressure controlled by the electric solenoids regulating pressure. so the solenoid mechanically is hanging open and causing this issue!! in parts alone is about $3500.00 + labor of 20 hrs
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.
not the news you want to hear but its better to know what you are getting into than going blind . anything else?if not.....I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang