Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

Volkswagen Jetta GL: I purchased a 91 Jetta GL 1.8 L manual

Customer Question

I purchased a 91 Jetta GL 1.8 L manual transmission that has crank no start. Distributor cap and rotor plugs and wires and coil have all been replaced I removed the ECM only to find out this has been replaced because of the colored writing on it. It states 92 Jetta auto part number###-##-####C. Could this be the problem? Does the auto mean the computer is for an automatic transmission?
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse, proper fuel pressure and good compression . In order to know why it will not start you need to test each one of these and see which one you are lacking. Post back with the results and I will help you determine the cause.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We've actually been able to start the car and it idles fine. Driving the vehicle you can get about 1/8th of a mile and the vehicle starts to lose power and shuts off. Wait a few minutes and the vehicle will start and the same results again. Yesterday morning I removed the ECM and noticed auto and 92 was written on the ECM and my vehicle is standard transmission. I've also looked up part numbers and noticed part numbers on a 91 and 92 are different. Is there a specific ECM for an automatic transmission and a stick shift? I appreciate you giving your expert advise.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Have you checked the fuel pressure when the engine looses power?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's a negative. My big concern is the ECM. Is there an ECM for a standard transmission and an automatic transmission or are they universal. I will check fuel pressure in the morning when I get up its 2:17 a.m. PST
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
If its starting and running this its not likely the ECM, lets check fuel pressure when its stalls as well as make sure you have spark . Im off this morning but will check back in this afternoon. I work Mountain standard time as well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Got it. Thanks for your help Ron much appreciated.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Your very welcome and thank you as well.