Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Volkswagen Jetta GL: my 99 vw jetta just got scanned

Customer Question

Hello my 99 vw jetta just got scanned for codes. These are the codes that show: p0758 and p0341.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Car runs very rough and I believe that it is in limp mode. What steps do I take in order to fix this as soon as possible? Also have a leaking exhaust.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Vin number is *****
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.Depending on what 2.0L engine is on your Jetta (ABA or AEG)...P0341 pertains to cam signal not being quite right - possibly timing belt off a toothP0758 pertains to a shift solenoid circuit inside the transmission - possibly a bad connection or solenoidAre you going to attempt repairs yourself? if so, I can provide all the technical guidance you'll need; however, you'll have to provide tools and mechanical ability.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No not going to do the work myself but when asking a mechanic to do the work what exactly do I ask and how much should I be looking to pay?
The codes are just an indication of what might be wrong and indicate further diagnosis is needed for a particular system or component. As such, there are no standard set costs per code.What you pay for repairs is based on a particular shop's labor rate ($$/hr) with VW dealers usually having higher labor rates than independent shops.Let's say you have the AEG engine and upon further diagnosis it is found the timing belt needs to be replaced; the shop can charge up to an 1.0 hrs labor for the diagnosis and 3.0 hrs to replace the belt.As per what to tell the mechanic, just use my previous response as a guide - that way you'll know if there's any deviation from what you're told at the shop.One very important thing is to ask about the mechanic's and shop's qualifications and warranty policies before leaving your car with them. Shop around if you need to; just keep in mind that, when it comes to auto repair, quality and warranty are sometimes much more important than price.Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. This will help me a lot. I thought I was going to have to replace the transmission and from the looksame of it I may not need to replace it. I will keep you posted
Thank you for allowing me to be of service.Best Regards.