vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

Volkswagen GLi: After driving my 2009 VW GLi, manual trans

Customer Question

After driving my 2009 VW GLi, manual trans with 84000 miles, and then letting it sit for about 30-60 minutes, it won't start. It will cough and sputter, and then die. The dealer says it doesn't throw a code, so they can't figure out what is wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.
Category: VW
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 months ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.Does your tach (rpm's) gage move when cranking the engine ?If not...replace the crankshaft sensor. Good luck.Let me know.Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, the tach moves. It acts like it is trying to run, but sputters and quits. No codes are thrown, so the dealer says it can't find anything wrong. Usually only does it when I have driven a ways, then stop for 30-60 minutes. If it won't start, I will let it sit for several hours, then it starts.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 6 months ago.
Hi there...the most common problem ,like I said is the crankshaft position sensor ,is acting up with the heat change.Fuel pressure can be also the problem,try to bang on bottom of the fuel tank while cranking to see if the engine starts or you can try spraying some intake cleaner into the throttle body to see if it starts.Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.