Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

2002 beetle dies while driving. I replaced the fuel pump, seemed

Customer Question

2002 beetle dies while driving. I replaced the fuel pump, seemed to fix it, but it died again yesterday.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes- simply dies
JA: Anything else I can tell the VW Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: not really
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: VW
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, when the car dies how long does it take before it will start up again?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Most of the time, it will restart right away. The first time, it had to be towed, then sat over night at the shop and started in the morning. When it was towed to the repair shop and it started the next day, I had them check for stored codes and there were no codes stored
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
ok perfect then the issue is a crankshaft position sensor, the sensor is what tells the ecm that the engine is cranking and running and when the engine gets hot its common for the sensor to fail and kill the engine, then when it cools down the sensor will work again and start right back up, hope this helps, that is the first thing we always suspect and change and it works 99.9999999% of the time, other times it can be an engine computer or fuel pump. but my money is on the crank sensor. you can tell the mechanics to check the rpm signal with the scan tool when the car does not run. that will tell them for sure that the issue is the crank sensor or not.. hope this helps Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, checking back to see if there was anything that was keeping you from rating me 5 stars, if so please let me know so i can do my best to assist , thanks, ***** *****