Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical

2007 gti. Engine seized after I stalled it. Crankshaft will

Customer Question

2007 gti. Engine seized after I stalled it. Crankshaft will not move. Is this a common issue? I have owned the car for 32days. Less than 70,000 miles on the clock. Manual trans.
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.No this is not a common problem. There can be any number of reasons why the engine is seized it's not possible to tell unless on open the engine up and see what the problem is.Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's what I figured. It caught me by surprise. My mechanic said he tried a new starter but it didn't work so he tried to turn the crankshaft and it wouldn't budge. Totally unexpected.
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.
Yes this is not a common thing the bearings, rings or just something small blocking the engine there is really no way to tell until one start to dismantle the engine.Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks man
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.
You might want to undo the camshaft first then see if the engine is free. That will tell you if the fault is in the block or cylinder head.Greetings,Martin.