Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Volkswagen Jetta GL: I have a 2002 vw jetta 2.0 L- the car

Customer Question

I have a 2002 vw jetta 2.0 L- the car died after 3 miles of running,
checked plugs- tips on 2-4 were coated in white, yet fuel was present (I could smell it). Switched out the coil pack- this was not the issue, I got the same yellow spark when tested (not white or blue).
Thinking it may be a timing belt issue, started in 3rd gear from dead stop- possibly enough "shaking" to dislodge timing belt from set placement.
Curious as to if the air filter would play a part in this issue.
The car has read P0411 for over a year- VW dealership and local mechanics are unable to diagnose the issue.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. I do need some more info!! how many miles are on the vehicle?when you try to start the vehicle does it cranks normally? or the cranking sound sounds different?when it stalled how fast were you going and before it stalled was the check engine light on and flashing or just on .thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Fortunately I have most if not all tools available, and I am referencing my chilton manual to assist with diagnostics.
The car currently has approximately 190K miles on it.
It seems to crank normally, however it is not catching/ turning over.
It failed as I was pulling into a local grocery store parking lot, no faster than 25mph.
Initial start up prior to failure was choppy and took longer to crank than typical. Timing belt and fuel pump were replaced less than 70k miles ago.
Combi valve and air pump replaced within the past 9 months.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I want to know what the timing belt timing is for my make and model. One theory we are considering is the belt was knocked loose from my starting at a dead stop in 3rd.
that should not be an issue but the enigine is an interference motor( if the timing belt slips time or breaks it will bend valves) line up the bottom pulley to the pic where to set and see if the cam is close or not.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Checking and will let you know what I find out.
ok
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Wolfgang!
I feel like an idiot! It turns out the fuel pressure was low, we did a top off on my tank and the car started up without hesitation. Turns out I must have a lot of residue sitting at the bottom of my tank. I am glad I took the time to check out the plugs yesterday, and switched out them for clean plugs. Thank you again for all of your help, and the timing belt turned out to be exactly where it should be. I will make sure to keep you in mind for any future issues I am not able to work out any issues. You did great with the information provided, and I apologize for not thinking ahead before reaching out to you!
Much appreciated!
~Anney
no problem Anney!! have a safe one!