vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Golf GTI: 2003 Golf GTI both windows are stuck closed.

Customer Question

2003 Golf GTI both windows are stuck closed. Things done so far:
1. Checked all fuses
2. Replaced driver side window switch
3. Swapped a known working motor, but motor was not powering up.
4. Scanned with VCDS Ross tech and it had a fault with Comfort Control module, replaced module but still nothing.
I've also done capacitive discharge to clear modules, still nothing.
Please advice on what else I can check to get this working.
Last resort is to wire the motors directly to an indepedent switch bypassing the module, however, wiring diagram of the motor is needed. Thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. What is the codes stored ? can you provide a log of the entire vehicle scan test ? also i do need a vin # ***** thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here's the VIN 9BWDE61J834039564 and screen shot of the faults from the scan.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well I just opened up the motors and bench tested them and they work.....so i think im just gonna re-wire an independent switch. Thanks anyways.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.
you will create a battery drain if you do that. please check the wiring harnesses of each door for chaffs and breaks . the comfort communication lines are either shorted , grounded or open. if you use the manual key in the door does and lock the door and hold do the windows work?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Visually checked all wires in wire grommet by door hinges, all are fine. Manual key activation on windows does not work but lock/unlock functions properly.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.
ok i need you to disconnect the left door connectors at the left a pillar connection clear the faults in 46 module and then rescan to see if the faults come back . i'm more concerned with the with the communication faults and see if the passenger side window works
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you talking about the multiplex harness that plugs into the window motor itself?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.
if you follow the wiring to the body under the left panel and right panel . there are 3 connectors for each door harness disconnect it there and then clear faults in 46 and then rescan to see what faults are there . what im looking for is the single wire mode goes away . but do the door harnesses one at a time . drivers unplugged passenger plugged (then scan) then the opposite