Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

Just reading thru issues with a Jetta VR6 Air Conditioner--

Customer Question

Just reading thru issues with a Jetta VR6 Air Conditioner-- Mine seems to have stopped working over the winter
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure: Blows warm air. My particular car has Climate Control. It has no issues warming the car in the winter. I checked Freon pressure and it appears to be full. I'm not sure I can hear the compressor coming on, but I'm not entirely sure what to listen for either
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My vehicle is a 2001 VR6 Jetta, GLX model. When the AC switch is turned on, it does light up. I attempted to recharge the freon and using the gauge, found that it was full so I do not suspect a leak. I feel the compressor is coming on as when I am idling and turn on the AC, I feel the engine start to work "harder". My vehicle does have climate control and while it heats up the car, it doesn't seem to automatically adjust the heat as it did in the past. I'd be happy to provide further information as needed...
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI,I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question. Ok, with compressor working, this may be an issue with a restriction in the system such as expansion valve sticking, or more likely a faulty temperature blend door actuator or climate control panel. I will need the last 8 of the vin to pull the schematics
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Eric. The last 8 of my VIN are as follows: 1M213383. The car has automatic climate control-- no dials, just set the thermostat as you would in a house. I'll be away from my car for a bit... but I'll check my phone often. Thank you.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
HI,Ok, the first check we will make is if the temperature air door motor is working. You will need to remove the glove box and trim piece underneath the driver side of dash and then have someone operate the temperature control while you watch the motor(see attached for what is looks like) to see if the arm attached to it moves. If it doesnt, then disconnect the harness connector to it and check for voltage while someone changes the temperature back and forth between cold and hot. If voltage is present, replace the motor assembly. If not present, then replace the climate control unit. If the door arm is working properly, then there is a restriction in the system. You will need a full set of AC manifold gages for checking both high and low side pressures. If we get to this point, we will go from there
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks