Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

My 1998 Passat Won't go into gear and grinds when putting

Customer Question

my 1998 Passat Won't go into gear and grinds when putting back into park
Category: VW
Expert:  Ted G. replied 7 months ago.

This means that the transmission is turning internally but for some reason it is not turning the axles. If you look under the car when someone puts it into gear (be careful) you may see an axle turning, this indicates a broken out CV joint on that axle. Or you may see one of the inner CV joints turning, this means it is broken. If neither axle is turning the something is broken inside the transmission. In order to not cause any more damage, turn the engine off after performing this test before putting the trans back in park. And use the emergency brake, because park will not hold the car in place right now.