vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

I have a 1997 Volkswagen cabio and have a check engine light

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Volkswagen cabio and have a check engine light and airbag light on .also when I try to connect a vag code reader it says no link. It has an aftermarket radio,but from what I can tell the k wire is cut from the loop what is causing these problems?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me what exact color is the wire thats cut and what pin # ***** ***** on the connector thats cut ??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a blue wire coming out of the back of the aftermarket harness. I have tried to remove the radio to see what happens and no change in lights or connection with scanner. Also tried different computer.
What color is pin #3 in the factory black connector ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
blue . I have even tried to disconnect the radio totally. When you start the engine , check engine light and airbag light are on solid and cannot connect with vag scanner .
You have a canbus communication issue do you have signal at the obd connector ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah the vag scanner gets power from obd2 connection. Says no link when try to scan

Have you tried a different scan tool ??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
tried 3 actually

ok provide me the vehicles vin # ***** i can look up the wiring diagram for you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah 3wba81e0wm810956
Is fuse 22 good it's a 10amp fuse
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been through all fuses as far as I know ,I know the cigarette lighter works . Like I said the scanner gets power from obd2 port . I am wondering what the pervious owner did to this car .

i am stating the basics thats why i asked if thast fuse was checked , do you know if the scan tool will communicate with the instrument cluster or airbag module ??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No not the airbag module tried that too ,could a bad airbag module be causing all these problems?
A bad module can bring down the whole system that's why am trying to figure out which one may be bringing down the system
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well hopefully this weekend I was going to try .first disconnect negative then positive battery cable and disconnect harness from airbag control module . Then I will get back to you whether or not I can scan the computer for codes. Since both the check engine and airbag light are both on solid and cannot connect ,I am thinking the module might be holding the vag scanner from connecting with car . Also I know this car was in a wreck at some point in its lifetime.

no problem keep me posted

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
far I have removed the center console and a metal plate in front of a plastic box . I can see the wiring harness from the drivers side ,but have to remove plastic box. Once I disconnect the harness from airbag control module I am going to see if the engine light and computer will connect. That's why I am suspicious about the airbag module ,the light is on ,so it knows there is a fault in the airbag system. Maybe that module is making the system being down from connecting a scanner.
Ok good
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hopefully when I start the engine with harness disconnected the airbags will stay in since the wiring is removed from module

Yes they will

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they will not deploy?
No they will not
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok
Let me know when you have results
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok disconnected airbag module still same cannot link
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did see something one time about on the scanner about k line ok
and other things don't know how it went into it