rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My name is ***** *****. My daughter has a 2008 VW beetle.

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My daughter has a 2008 VW beetle. Everything seemed to working fine. she left it at my house for a couple of days. yesterday she came back and tried to start it. The engine cranks but will not start. We thought is was an issue with the battery... battery fully charged, but the car will not start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: checked all connectors to battery......evrything seemed snug.. no corrosion....also checked the little power connector box on top of battery. no corrosion, connections good... all 3 30 Amp fuses were good
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The engine continues to turn like it wants to start but does not kick over
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
You need to check for spark at the plugs and check the fuel pressure with a gauge.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the guidance.... just had the beetle towed into my mechanicOne additional observation was when the key was left in the ignition, the cooling fan would suddenly come on and run for no apparent reason.... it would continue to run until the key was removed ( the lights would be on as well)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is more than just rudimentary mechanical fixes for me
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Maybe the AC button was engaged, that will cause that.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.