Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

1999 VW Beetle GLS, oil light comes on when car breaks. Oil

Customer Question

1999 VW Beetle GLS, oil light comes on when car breaks. Oil level is fine. Oil light does not come on at any other time besides during breaking. ABS light is also on, as well as blue coolant temp sensor.
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

I'd check the condition of the wiring to the oil pressure switch and also check the rest of the engine bay wiring loom for damage as I'd say as the engine is moving under braking its tugging on the loom and exposing a bad connection or a broken wire

especially check where the loom runs over other parrts of the engine and through the bulkheads - anywhere it seems stretched tight

if you have a large multiway connector then disconnect it and spray both halves with contact cleaner ( not WD40)

Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you