Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

You really wanna know? how much will it cost me? I have a

Customer Question

you really wanna know?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: how much will it cost me ?
JA: The price is generally around $18, with a $5 deposit.
Customer: I have a PO740 code, the number 8 terminal from the tranmisssion harness is grounded. This harness runs to the TCM....should it be grounded or not?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: iTS APARET IN MY GARAGE...YES
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: no
JA: Our top VW Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the VW Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the VW Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

in order to assist you better i do need the vin # ***** the vehicle so i can get the factory repair info.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
3vwcc21c1xm426177 the transmission slips from 3rd to 4th. I ohmed the transmission solenoids and they all are good. The harness running back to the TCM has terminal #8 grounding to the chassis.

to verify its a black on black beetle in NY area correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's black on black... But I purchased the car used a few months ago. It's in Pennsylvania now.

ok good enough . ok to make sure if you have a digital meter the resistance value from pin 8 of the round connector to battery negative is??????

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have disconnected the TCM... Can I get back to you tomorrow? I will need to reconnect... What should the value be?

no leave it disconnected. the code is for the torque converter clutch circuit!! please make that measurement. and then measure from pin 8 round connector to pin 58 of the tcm please and post the readings!!

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a zero ohm reading.... Continuity is present

from 8 to - battery post or 8 to 58?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
8 to 58
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
TCM still disconnected... The ohm reading from terminal 8 harness side to battery negative is zero

then there is a short in the harness there should be infinite reading when measuing from 8 to battery negative . need to trace the short!!! some where it is rubbed to metal!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I apologize... I misspoke. The reading from the negative battery wire to 8 is "OL"

ok that is good. i need you to measure the resistance of pin 8 of the round plug to trans and pin 2 what is the resistance reading?

then pin 2 of the harness to pin 22 of the tcm connector need a resistance reading also

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay.. Will do. It won't be until I get home from work. Approximately 3pm Eastern. What transmission fluid do you recommend?

vw part # ***** or esso lt 71141 no other trans fluid!!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pin 2-8 transmission side is 4.7
2-22 harness is .03

ok one last test connect the transmission connector and measure from tcm 58 to 1 and 22 to 1.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Both are reading "OL"

ok you will need a flashlight from the round connector follow the ribbon to the front of the transmission where goes in . pay attention to the isulation that protects the ribbon wire . is the insulation cracked and exposed? especially where the ribbon gets held by clips on the transmission!!!

does this fault come when its damp?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The ribbon looks fine... No... It started after I topped off the transmission with valvoline max life fluid... It started acting up the very next day. I followed the filling procedure to a T... It only took a cup of fluid

i have a feeling that with the fluid used caused your issue for imcompatibility. i just seached and its dexron / mercon and that is a big no no!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It says on the container.... G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1That's not the type I need?

being a vw dealer tech i delt with the correct vw fluid and was told for the aftermarket stuff may state but i have heard horror stories!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok... I put everything back together. Dropped the pan and filter. Tomorrow I will pick up the factory fluid and filter and let you know what happens.
Ok.