vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

Customer Question

Category: VW
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I went to a shop complaining of high-speed acceleration issues — such as when merging on a highway, speeding up from 60 to 70 mph, passing cars, etc. Basically my Jetta stutters and revs when it gets to 3000 rpm but doesn't accelerate. I then have to take foot of gas and get it under 3000 rpm before speeding up again gradually.I brought it to a shop, explained this problem, and they drew up the following error codes:16990 - Internal Control Module: Processor Fault: P0606 - Intermittent
17704 - Error in Mapped Cooling System (usually temp Sensor or Thermostat): P1296 -Intermittent
17766 - Cylinder 2 Ignition Circuit: OpenC ircuit: P1358 -Intermittent
16727 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal too High:P0343 -static - Noindication on^display
17734 - Knock-Control:Cylinder2TRegulationLimit Exceeded:PI326 - Interm ittent
17763 - Cylinder 1 Ignition Circuit: Open Cirrcuit: P1355 -Intermittent
17769 - Cylinder 3 Ignition Circuit: Open Circuit: P1361- Intermittent
17772 - Cylinder4IgnitionCircuit: OpenCircuit:P1364 -IntermittentThey told me they think the first place to start with the acceleration problem is the ignition system. They told me my second priority should be the thermometer because that’s pretty important. They said this might not get my camshaft position sensor error code off, but that that is how they would proceed. I said fine. They did some work and I handed them $892.But as I left the lot after their closing I had the exact same problem—absoluetly no difference in acceleration performance. Also, my check engine light was still on (camshaft position sensor). They told me my CPS not a priority but will become one day when I’m trying to start car and it can’t. They suggested I come back next time I’m there for an oil change. Clearly they did not recreate the problem I described to them before or after their work. If they had bothered trying to accelerate the car as I described, they would know they didn’t do anything about it.I did a little bit of research online and found out this is likely a sensor problem (camshaft position sensor or mass air flow), or perhaps a timing issue. I really didn’t find any evidence that it’s related to ignition.Now, the shop is saying: give us more money and we’ll fix your sensor problem.Here’s my guess about what happened: they ignored what I said my problem was, scanned my engine and decided to prioritize the ignition — even though that’s clearly not what was causing the high-speed acceleration problem. And throughout they assured me they were taking care of the acceleration problem.So, they never recreated my problem. And when I came back to them and told them directly to take the car out and accelerate it to 3000 rpm, they quickly determined it’s the camshaft position sensor. My question: shouldn’t they have recreated the problem in the first place? Shouldn’t they have started with camshaft? Isn’t it their responsibility to fix this for free?Thanks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer .

I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply.

Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

You have requested a Premium service call please see offer!!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can't talk on phone today--mistakenly indicated otherwise.