Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

My ABS and ASR Light came on. I have a 2001 VW Jetta, VR6.

Customer Question

My ABS and ASR Light came on.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2001 VW Jetta, VR6. Today I was driving and suddenly the ASR and ABS lights came on. The breaks are fine. I am trying to figure out what would cause the two lights to come on.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have a mechanic
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: no
JA: Our top VW Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the VW Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the VW Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: VW
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, one of the many sensors that feed information to the ABS system has likely failed. This will also cause the ASR light to come on in some cases. The only way t begin a repair on this type of failure is to have the vehicle scanned for codes. If your mechanic normally works on VW, he should have a scan tool capable of reading the ABS control module for codes. Unfortunately the free code scans you get from the auto parts stores will not access ABS, only engine and emission codes. In the meantime the car is safe to drive but as long as the lights are on, both of those systems are deactivated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It wasn't a sensor, it was a melted fuze in the fuze box that is located on top of the battery. Common issue from what I understand.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 months ago.

Glad to hear you got it fixed.