Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I replaced my camshaft and hydrolic lifters but j never made

Customer Question

I replaced my camshaft and hydrolic lifters but j never made any marks on the pulley sproket and I'm not sure how to get it back in time, I drive a 06 tdi Jetta
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

Hi I need a pic of the timing kit you have. There are special tools needed. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not putting a new timing kit in it , I replaced the camshaft but now need to get the timing right the specialty tools was a pin that goes on the crankshaft and a pin that goes in the camshaft sproket pulley
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
BRMKIT5PC) Timing Belt Tool Kit for PD TDIs with BRM engines (1.9 liter)
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

There is s crank lock that splines with the lower cog gear. Kinda a half moon do you have that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is send the pics but I can't fugure out how to upload a picture , I think u understand how the cam lock works I'm just not sure if I need to take the new cam out first before I set the crankshaft to tdc , I need step by step instructions I don't have a manual for my car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

yes you will need to remove the cam then all of the valves will be closed . make sure the glow plugs are out so you can turn the crank easier.

look at crank lock pic you will see the arrow and lock the crank down

then on the cam set the cam like this with the gear off

you see on the left the hole where the pin will go in!!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I snapped a cam cap bearing bolt off inside the head I'm pretty screwed now , how would I get that out
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

depending if you have clearance there is a too called quik center . it is a drill centering tool to drill the broken piece out then a time sert is needed to install to have threads again . note the cam bolts were a 1 time use only bolts with the rockers bolts for the injectors too!! get new bolts

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there a way to check to see if I bent a valve without taking the head off , maybe a compression test or something ??
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

Yes is the camshaft removed right now?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I sent it to a garage they guy told me I put the cam in 180degrees out and that I possible could have tightened the camshaft down and slightly bent a valve , everything iv read said that that would be hard to do and I would have had to exert a lot of force to do that , he said he would have to pull the head off to check and it would cost 2000 dollars
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

There is a way. Remove the camshaft so all valves are closed. Remove the glow plugs and then with an adapter to shoot air in the cylinder will tell you if you bent valves.