Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Have a vw jetta 1.8 turbo have code17966 already replaced

Customer Question

have a vw jetta 1.8 turbo have code17966 already replaced throttle body still same code car will not start if it does happen to run its very low idle and hunting +/- second or so between intervals tried different ecm same code came up
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i do need more information..

1. i do need the vin # ***** the vehicle
  2. any recent accidents ?
  3. any recent repair work excluding the throttle body?
  4. if you look at the coil wiring is the insulation cracked and wire exposed?

please let me know!!

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Vin number is *****
Car was not in accede as far as I know
No wires exposed no cracking all tape is original however since the last post we have tried a different gas pedal that does work from same type vehicle just it was a 03 hope this helps it's mind boggling.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

what scan tool are you using? make and model?

the throttle body is it new or used that you installed?

please let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm using autel maxisys pro with jbox for programing. Also the throttle body is new from vw.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

ok can you adapt the throttle body with the scan tool ? i think you can with that tool .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yep it says error when trying to adapt using channel 060 also shows 14.7%
Verses 87.5% keeps giving code for throttle valve electrical error.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

Please see premium services offer for live phone call

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not around vehicle for this service I will contact you when that time is available.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

got it!!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would like to thank you for your help the person who owns the car took it to vw for the repair I don't know what the rate is for just transfer of info I would like to pay for your time to answer me back so if it's the 30.00 it is what it is if not then what is seen to be fit for your time will suffice.let me know as I'm pretty sure I will be needing you again I don't want to burn any bridges because you were quick with the responses
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

Thanks and my pleasure!