vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

07 vw golf gti wont starh and has code p0343

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i need some more info

1. i do need the vin # ***** get the proper repair information
  2. was there any recent repair work done to the vehicle?
  3. how many miles on the vehicle
  4. any recent accidents?
  5. does the engine when cranking sound normal like usual or somewhat different?

please let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
vin WVWev71k27w087455
No recent repairs. 139000 milesStart sounds the same
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

ok the first thing is to check is that the cam sensor is plugged in and make sure that the wiring is not chaffed or broken. the cam sensor is located on the passenger sideof the engine . pic is attached to give you a visual area. please check that and let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wiring looks okay, replaced cam sensor but still no start.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

ok . did you ever replace the timing belt on the vehicle ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not since we've had it. We've owned it for approximately 3 years in 20000
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

ok i need you to look at the upper timing cover next to the cam sensor is there an inspection cover that can be removed to see the cam gear and belt? if so please remove that cover and then have a second person try to start the vehicle and you watch to see if the cam pulley turns while cranking.

if that turns then remove the oil cap on top and have the same thing done with the second person crank the vehicle and you look straight down in the fill hole and make sure that the intake camshaft turns while cranking.

let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will let you know what I find.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

Ok please do