FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

2003 vw passat v6, oil light comes on, the light came on

Customer Question

2003 vw passat v6, oil light comes on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the light came on yesterday, I added 1 quart of oil @ 4pm. On my way home last night the light came on again, I checked the oil level and it was fine. I have not tried using the car today to avoid causing more problems.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: With the help of a friend who's more knows more about cars than me.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: The milage on the car is close to 200,000 and the oil wasn't changed for over 8 months.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if the engine is making any noise at idle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll start it now and check
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no unusual noise
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
engine is running fine
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. If the light is still on then the sensor may be bad or you may have an issue with the oil pressure. If he oil has not been changed recently then I would start there as a dirty filter can cause this. If that is fine I typically check the pressure with a manual pressure gauge to see if it is within specs. If it is then the sensor should be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I changed the oil, the filter and the sensor but the light still comes on occasionally.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 8 months ago.

Then you will either need to get a mechanical gauge and hook it to the engine to see what is reads or simply replace the sensor.