peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

My 2011 jetta is showing the code p0106 and it idles at

Customer Question

my 2011 jetta is showing the code p0106 and it idles at 600rpm , barely wants to go and wreaks of gas ..
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: 2011 Volkswagen jetta
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: two days ago my car started smelling like gas , today the check engine light came on with the code p0106 . It idles low (at 600rpm) , when you hit the gas it goes but VERY slowly . Its thrown this code before and I was told to change the air filter , that worked last time (around 100k miles) and its now 114k miles .
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if its an easy fix ... lol
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: Not that I can think of right now .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This code indicates a fault with the manifold absolute pressure sensor.I have seen the Map/Iat sensor fail and cause this code here and if sending false signals can cause poor running as well as the fuel smell you have here.I would have the engine checked over for any vacuum leaks and if any are found the affected leaks need repaired.If these are all checked and found to be o.k. I suspect the map/iat sensor at fault needing replaced.There is a test procedure to verify this is the cause here if you want I can post it here for you just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete