gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I got my car (1996 VW bug) back from a tune-up a few days

Customer Question

I got my car (1996 VW bug) back from a tune-up a few days ago and it's now making a clanking sound. At first it only made the sound when I was in third gear but now it does it in all gears and I hear it when I start the car. I will take the car to my mechanic tomorrow but I'd like to do some errands today--should I worry about the clank worsening as I drive>
Thanks,
Johanna
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I'm assuming this is a New Beetle (which started production in 1998)?

I'm guessing that you may have an issue with your catalytic converter, which will rattle when starting, and under certain load conditions, and sometimes over bumps. You can also try smacking the catalytic converter with a block of wood or a rubber mallet and see if it rattles.

They are covered by an 8 year 80k mile warranty, so you are well out of that now. They can be around $800 from the dealer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is a 1996 and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a catalytic converter, tho I do like the idea of hitting the thing with a rubber mallet.......... Thanks for the additional info about warranty and price.