vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Stuck in 2nd gear, automatic trans. it was coded solinoid

Customer Question

stuck in 2nd gear, automatic trans. it was coded for shifting solinoid but was told by a mech. a friend that the shifting solinoid rarely goes out. That it must be the TCM and it's under the carpet. If not the trans. is shot!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: The veh is a 2001 Jetta with 2.0 engine Yes, somewhat mechanicaly inclined. Is there a special way to get at the TCM.
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: It was shifting fine one day and the next, it stuck in 2nd?? Can'
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: believe the trans is shot
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

Do you know what the code(s) was that is setting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, was told shifting solonoid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would rather not try and change out the shifting solonoid inside the transmission. I want to try the TCM but I donl't know how to access the unit. I know it is under the carpet on the passenger side of the vehicle but don't want to cut the carpet to access it. There must be another way.
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

I see, thanks. Is it a Jetta GL Sedan with the 2.0?

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

I don't suggest taking the carpet out just yet though. I don't know of any that the TCM is there.