rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2005 Jetta, 2.5. Dash indicator lights are bright

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Jetta, 2.5. Dash indicator lights are bright upon starting the car, about twenty minutes later they begin to dim, and shortly dim to black. Have taken off the cluster unit looking for bulbs to change but there is a screen, looking like solid state. Have tried to discover which fuse controls cluster to see if fuse is faulty, unable to learn which fuse controls the cluster. Would really appreciate where to look, thank you.
Category: VW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

The most common cause is a defective instrument cluster.You can test it with a scan tool, but it most likely is bad and needs to be repaired or replaced.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was looking to repair, I already knew that I could replace it as I had removed it to inspect. I did not gain anything with your answer to replace, thank you any way.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 9 months ago.

You're not going to be able to repair that without all the tooling and programs that a professional business would have that does this for a living. I offered you valid and truthful information, please don't let that affect my rating because you are not able to fulfill the repair. Some time the repairs are simple, but NOT this one.

Thanks again, Ron