Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

My awesome 2004 vw touareg started clicking when I turn

Customer Question

my awesome 2004 vw touareg started clicking when I turn right...I believe it is a cv axel issue..please tell me this is not expensive
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

That is normally the outer CV joint, but it is cheaper to replace the axle, (left or right)

.

The CV axle can get expensive, especially at the dealership shop. I would suggest that you get a remanufacured front axle shaft, (which ever side the clicking is on) from an after market auto parts store.

.

Autozone happens to show them for a fraction of the factory rebuilds and they are just as good, in my opinion.

.

VW reman axle, around $650 with the both CV joints. After market, as low as $61.99, (Autozone) and the labor will be the same amount of time, 3.5 hours. However, an independent shop will normally charge less per hour than a dealership. Average in the US is $95 or so dollars an hour.

.

You just have to find a good reputable shop that will install the axle for you.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks