vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My daughter is driving her 2003 VW beetle from Lakeland,

Customer Question

My daughter is driving her 2003 VW beetle from Lakeland, Florida to Lubbock, Texas.
Just west of Ft. Worth, Texas, and after the motor hit its 160,000th mile, the check engine light came on.
She stopped at a service station and they hooked her engine up to a small hand-held diagnostic computer that indicated there was a coolant issue.
The car was serviced and checked for the trip at a reputable repair center in Lakeland before leaving, including the coolant level and all other fluids.
What could be the problem? Also, if the fan is running and there doesn’t appear to be a coolant leak, can she trust the vehicle to make it to Lubbock (about another 4 hours)?
If on the road, how can she tell if the issue, if any, is getting worse?
Category: VW
Expert:  internal88 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - VW tech.

When they hook up the diagnostic tool , did they give your daughter a trouble code?

I will need to code to define it for you. It could be a simple coolant temp sensor that went bad.

Please update me.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No trouble code was given.

Did the coolant go down? Where is the car now?