vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2000 Passat - 2.5 L, manual transmission, wagon. It

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Passat - 2.5 L, manual transmission, wagon. It won't start. When I press the clutch pedal in, turn key, nothing happens. My regular mechanic ( not a VW expert) says the starter solenoid sounds like it is working.
Battery is fine ( lights, accessories work) ( although co-incident with starter problem, my auto windows don't work - fuse for same blows, even with higher amp fuses)
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

Hi I'm Wolfgang master VW technician.

On your issue you need to pull up the drivers side carpet front seat. Under the carpet is a black box with a module. Inspect the module connector is there corrosion , water on the floor and in the box? Please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My car is currently at my mechanic's ... I will have to get him to check but it might not be until tomorrow.
It's an older vehicle .. but still in quite good condition ... 150,000 mi . It's winter here in Kingston Ontario .. though I have a driver's side rubber floor mat it could be damp ( I spilled a coffee on the PASSENGER side floor the same day )So you`re suggesting there`s a black box under the carpet ... is it towards the pedals or back towards the seat ? dimensions ?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

6" X 12" near the seat area. inside the box is a module

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my mechanic has not gotten back to me. I'll touch base tomorrow.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

got it!!