vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Red light showing that the generator is supposedly ok, glows

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Red light showing that the generator is supposedly ok, glows very faintly while driving. I have changed the regulator. The generator is also new.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, what year and modle vw do you have?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1967 karma ghia, 1500 vw eng.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

ok , have you verified voltage on the battery and generator output?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
voltages are correct, but the red light on dash still glows very faintly
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

ok then you need to check the diodes and also make sure that it is in fact wired correctly from the gen light to the regulator. with a car that old i would wonder about wiring and connections.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My wiring diagram shows a connection between the body of the regulator and the body of the generator/ground, is this necessary and/or needed. Also for that bulb to glow there has to some forms of ground
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

ok i will opt out at this point, i wont be able to assist further, the diagrams i have are cruddy and i dont have much personal exp in the car other than the engine itself . another expert should be along soon.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i have some questions to ask first?

1. did you try to polarize the generator?
  2. are you using a bosch voltage regulator ?
  3. i see that you have mentioned that about the ground at the regulator and generator is there one there (wire)
  4. has the vehicle been sitting for a while?

please let me know

thanks