Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified,32 years diagnostic/repair experience all makes and models ,shop owner
13677702

I have a 95 Jetta today when I started the car oil started

Customer Question

I have a 95 Jetta today when I started the car oil started to leak around the top of the filter just poured out
Category: VW
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Hello, it is one of 3 things, rather common problem, Either the filter is bad, yes it happens and the seal fails so stpe one is to try a new filter, if still a leak? then if? yours has the cooler between the filter and filter housing , then the oil seal /oring has failed, If you do not have the cooler? then the gasket between the oil filter housing and block has failed, Neither with proper tools are hard to change. The link shows the breakdown of parts and the link below is a good guide as to what I speak of, Not exact same engine but very close. I am hoping just a bad filter, On my daughters 96 Jetta, it was the gasket between t he oil filter housing and block in which you unbolt the housing from the block and place a new gasket in, Just ask for oil filter housing gasket

copy and paste this link

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/oilcoolerseal/index.htm