Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

2001 golf tdi
, electric windows and mirrors not

Customer Question

2001 golf tdi
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: electric windows and mirrors not working. dome light works, locks work,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, also do not hear any relays or anything clicking when pushing the buttons
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: swapped out the switch unit on the drivers door
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

on your windows issue . is it all windows or a specific window? did you try each window on each door to see if it operates? does the vehicle start and run? any recent repairs on the vehicle?

please let me know!!

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All windows do not work,
Yes vehicle starts and runs
No recent repairs that I'm aware of.
Locks work on all by each door and by master switch on drivers door and by remote.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

there is a module that controls the windows and a scan tool is needed to see what faults are stored or even if the module is communicating. VAG COM scan tool is the scan tool of choice to do this .

do you have a vag com scan tool?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dont have scan tool, if its a code that is stored, might be able to get autozone or another the read codes
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

code readers like auto zone has ,will not read this module. they only read engine and trans codes