Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

My 2002 VW Cabrio(150,000 miles)went through a puddle of

Customer Question

My 2002 VW Cabrio(150,000 miles)went through a puddle of water yesterday and lost power.Eventually it quit turning over and now motor just clicks when I turn it on.What is wrong with it and how much should I expect to be charged (ballpark figure)at my local non-dealer shop -should I just start by getting a jump?It has stalled lately when starting out after rains/snows.Thank you,Pat
Category: VW
Expert:  Lou P. replied 9 months ago.

Hello Pat, first thing i would see if lets distinguish if the battery is ok. so yes try jumping it or turning the headlights on and then cranking it to see if the lights die off, or the dash display. that would indicate a low battery, the alternator or belt may have been damaged, so check to see if the engine belt is still on.