gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I am ***** *****. 2003 Passat, auto transmission, 4 motion,

Customer Question

I am ***** *****. 2003 Passat, auto transmission, 4 motion, 2.8 L, 80K miles.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The engine surges 100-200 rpm when operating between 100 an 200 rpm. Everything is OK at idle and above 2000 rpm. No problem in cruise control. No engine or transmission fault codes. Have tried changing throttle body and air sensor without result. Any ideas? I see other people have had this problem, but I see no solution.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 9 months ago.

so pretty much just off idle, like at a cruising speed? And when using cruise control, it does NOT do this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
off of idle, between 1000 and 2000 rpm only. The problem is more pronounced when the engine is under load (going up hill). Above 2000 rpm the problem goes away, also goes away when in cruise control, any RPM.

From what I have been able to find, it may be the fuel pressure regulator on the rail- gets sticky inside and under idle or under full load will pop to one extreme or the other, but on that just off idle position it is stuck in the idle position. You can pop the clip off and remove the regulator and see if you can clean it out with some carb cleaner to remove the varnished fuel buildup